Order Cheques in Canada
Premium Printer Cheques
2-Per-Page Premium Manual Cheques
Premium Laser / Inkjet Cheque Starter Kit
2-Per-Page Premium Manual Cheque Starter Kit
Regular Laser/Inkjet Cheques
1-Per-Page Regular Manual Cheques
Regular Laser/Inkjet Cheque Starter Kit
1-Per-Page Regular Manual Cheque Starter Kit
Premium Blank Cheque Stock
Full Custom 2-Per-Page Manual Cheques
Regular Blank Cheque Stock
US Backer Premium Laser/Inkjet Cheques
Ordering Cheques in Canada
Did you know that you can legally order cheques online in Canada? It’s true – you can order Canadian cheques online from a private company, as long as they comply with Canadian Payments Association (CPA) standards. But people and businesses have been ordering cheques from Cheque Print for nearly 20 years – long before online cheque ordering. Though the internet has made the cheque ordering process a bit easier and a lot faster, our printing and delivery process remains the same. And although some people in Canada think they are an out-dated payment method, many Canadian businesses actually prefer using cheques due to their easy accounting software integration, easier auditing and reconciliation processes, easier cancellations or stop payments, and small payment processing delay. Hidden security features also make cheques much more secure than most people realize.
Ordering Canadian Cheques vs. American Checks
Although recent standard formatting updates have made American cheques very similar to Canadian cheques, there are a few key differences between ordering cheques in Canada compared to cheque ordering in the US, where cheques remain highly popular:
- Canadian cheques have different account numbering on the bottom than in the US due to our different bank account number structure
- US cheques have fractional routing and transit numbers on the top of the cheque to better differentiate between bank branches
- US cheques sometimes use a special numbering algorithm to help prevent cheque fraud
- US cheques do not use holograms – this is a non-necessary Canadian advent due to the prevalence of holograms on our currency
- US banks generally charge less for their cheques and cheque-related fees because there is more competition for private banking. That is why it’s better to order cheques online in Canada, as you are supporting a local business (rather than a big bank) and will generally get a lot better service for your money.
Canadian Cheque Standards
Cheque Print complies with very strict standards issued by the Canadian Payments Association. These include a number of cheque order and manufacture regulations but are generally focused in two key areas:
- Magnetic Image Character Recognition (MICR) encoding – the standard sequence of numbers at the bottom of a cheque
- These numbers must be printed in special magnetic ink, with a specific font, size and format. This is because machines use these numbers to read the cheque via metallic reactions.
- Pro Tip: It is important not to make any marks in this area when writing a cheque.
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) imaging – the overall layout and formatting of a cheque
- The placement of certain data must be in specific places so it can be easily read by machines
- Pro Tip: It is important to print clearly and not have any numeric digits in the long-form amount line when writing a cheque.
Want more detailed or specific information before you submit your cheque order? Contact us today >
Ordering cheques from Cheque Print Canada was quick and easy and definItely better value for money than my own bank.– Jayne Ryan